- Lie face up, knees bent, feet flat on floor, arms by sides.
- Exhale sink navel, pull pubic bone higher than navel.
- Peel spine off floor (curling one vertebrae at a time).
- Inhale stay lifted.
- Exhale articulate spine back down to mat
Chest Lift #2 x 6
- Exhale zip up pelvic floor, slide ribs down to hips to curl head and upper back away from the mat.
- Inhale hold.
- Exhale sip pelvic floor, return upper body to mat.
- Keep tailbone weighted and front of hips relaxed throughout.
Dead Bug (Leg Lift) x 6 each leg
- Lie on floor, arms by side, knees bent, feet on the floor.
- Exhale activate abdominals, float one knee above hip.
- Inhale hold.
- Exhale to lower foot back to floor.
- Make sure knee stays at same angle as leg moves.
- Maintain heavy back and stable pelvis throughout.
Hula x 4 each side
- From your chest lift position, exhale to rotate one rib towards the opposite hip
- Inhale return to chest lift
- Imagine drawing a rainbow with your ribs towards the hip bone over the top of your navel.
- Keep the pelvis stable, and the front of the hips heavy and soft throughout.
Femur Arcs – (in chest lift position) x 6
- Exhale sink navel and float one knee above hip.
- Relax your foot to your bottom as you lift the leg.
- Inhale hold
- Exhale float other leg up.
- Inhale hold this position.
- Exhale to lower the first foot back to the floor
- Inhale hold
- Exhale return second foot to mat.
- Keep back relaxed and head heavy in your hands throughout.
Side to side — (Supine Spine Twist) x 5 each side
- Inhale to roll pelvis onto one hip, allow knees and feet to follow.
- Exhale to return to centre.
- Keep knees and ankles glued together throughout.
- Shoulder blades stay relaxed on the mat for the whole exercise.
Side lie bent leg swing x 7 each leg
- Lie on side with knees bent
- Lift top leg in line with hip
- Let it feel really really heavy in this position
- Inhale swing leg forward
- Exhale to take it back as far as you can
- Keep pelvis still and thigh heavy throughout
Side Kick x 1 set of each per leg
- Front to back:
- Inhale bring top leg forward, foot flexed
- Exhale take the leg behind the body, pointing the foot.
- Up and down:
- Inhale lift the top leg toward ceiling
- Exhale to draw the leg back down.
- Top leg in turnout, inhale flex knee, sliding toe up against inner thigh.
- Exhale extend leg out and up then draw it down to start position.
Rest between sets.
Basic Back Extension #1 x 5
- Inhale to gently lift abs off floor, sliding scapula down back, lengthen head then chest and shoulders away from floor
- Exhale to return to mat
- Low back stays relaxed throughout
- Gently pull the ribs in towards your spine as you come up into your extension.
Dart x 1 set of 4-6 repetitions
- Inhale lengthen crown of head away from shoulders.
- Exhale articulate into thoracic extension.
- Inhale, get a little more thoracic extension.
- Exhale to lengthen spine and articulate back down to the mat.
- Keep lower ribs on the mat, and abs lifted in and up throughout.
- Optional: add arm pumps when in extension position (think upside down The Hundred)
Prone single leg reach – (straight leg) x 8 each leg
- Lay face down, tailbone reaching long
- Exhale to reach and lift one leg off floor
- Inhale to lower the leg.
- Alternate legs.
- Keep pelvis still
- You should feel the base of glutes and back of thighs working
- Move from the thighbone
Seated Spine Stretch x 1 set of 4-6 repetitions
- Sitting tall imagine your back against a wall.
- Exhale to peel your spine away from the wall, as if rounding forward over a big ball.
- Ensure abs keep your low back connected to “the wall”
- Inhale restack the spine from bottom to top.
- Reach out through the heels to increase the stretch.
- Maintain arms parallel to floor throughout.
- Ensure shoulders don’t lift up to ears..
Seated Spine Twist x 4 each side
- Seated with legs long in front of you, genie arms, spine long
- Inhale to grow taller
- Exhale rotate body to the right, moving from the ribs, keeping hips facing forward
- Inhale return to centre growing taller as you do.
- Exhale rotate the body to the left.
- Keep shoulders relaxed and heavy throughout.
- Imagine your hips are stuck in concrete – the twist comes from your mid back.
After your beginners course has finished, you will be ready to move into continuing matwork Pilates. These sessions build upon what you have learned in your beginners course, and are offered at a variety of times and days to suit your schedule.
Keep an eye out in you emails for some upcoming information regarding the options for continuing your excellent Pilates exercise habit with us!
If you are already interested in continuing with a fortnightly Pay-as-you-Go arrangement or prepaid package... or just want to find out more, please contact us on 0419 777 477 or via email at email@example.com.