The next exercise in our series is the Grasshopper.
Things to focus on
Ensure the abdominals are engaged/lifted throughout to provide support to the lower back. Move the head up away from the floor first, working down the spine as you lift away from the mat.
Ensuring the abs stay lifted to keep the back supported. Getting the spine to move in sequence – lifting one vertebrae at a time.
This is good for
Developing strength and mobility through the upper back and shoulders.
How to do it
- Exhale to reach elbows towards heels, reach scapulae down and draw abs in
- Allow the sternum to lift and thoracic spine to move into extension
- Inhale return to start position
- Think of lengthening the spine as you move into extension
- Maintain lifted abdominals throughout
If you would like some expert direction from highly experienced instructors then try our semi-private equipment sessions. If you are attending our semi-private sessions then you can also access our STEPS sessions for as little as $20 per session at either of our two studio locations.
Our Manuka and Woden studios are within easy access of Forrest, Kingston, Barton, Griffith, Red Hill, Narrabundah, Garran, Hughes, Curtin, Phillip, Mawson, Farrer, Pearce, and Torrens.